Sunday, March 25, 2007

Using Resist


Last week was our monthly Felters Drop In session. Our topic was about using resist or a barrier to keep the felt from bonding to itself.

It enables you to make 3-D objects or put pockets into things. The uses are endless.

Most of the felters have made bags before, so I thought I'd try something a bit different for them.


The booties were made with a template cut from thin foam. Both are done at the same time, giving you similar sizes by the time you cut them off the resist. They take about 30 minutes to make a and you can be a creative as you want.



The beret was made with a circular resist about 1/3 larger than the finished piece. Layer front and back with fibre and decorated at will. I used some silk and a bit of yarn I had left over from spinning and dyeing it. I also made felt balls and a cord from the left over fibre and stitched it around the bottom opening of the hat. Avery really likes it, but I have to keep it for myself.


Again, this was fast and easy enough to do as a demonstration. Great results and not much time. I think the embellishing took more time than making the hat.







No comments: