Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Summer Jewels

Ok. Since I've not blogged about anything new in a month, I'll blog about something old. This was the start of the beading thing for me. I had these great earrings, but nothing to go on the neck. Since my hair covers the lovely earrings most of the time, I wanted a little something visible.

I had a chat with a couple of beader friends from the US when I arrived back and they lead me astray, to a lovely little shop in the
village of Winona Lake. Canal Street Gallery. Jewelry and beads. YUM!! How could I go wrong. I'll just make the one thing! HA!

I'm hopeless with the stone types, but it's aqua and matches perfect. Copper spacer beads, Swarovski Crystals and the large tear drop of the same stone. It's perfect for me. The great thing about this bead shop was the service. I bought the copper beads and they were a bit bright and new. "Shall I age them for you?" she asked. What? "Yeah" "Can you do that?" and off she ran to dip them in sulfate of liver or something that takes the newness right out of it! Great!!

So I was hooked. At the moment I'm surrounded by piles of beads, wire, magazines and tools, wondering why I can't find the perfect beads to complete the projects for the school teachers for Christmas. I'm sure what I have is fine, but I just want something that's a bit unusual in shape without being to bulky. Of course I need it buy next week, so I'm off the Bray tomorrow on the train to see what is available.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Holly, they're all lovely! Very well done and quite attractive.

Unknown said...

Hi Holly! IS there anything crafty you can't do? You necklace is really nice! I'll say hi to Indiana for you!

Anonymous said...

I was so inspired by your beading that I bought a couple of magazines before Christmas break and actually made my first pair of earrings. Nothing spetacular but I did it!!! Your Sis